About the Buddy Break Program
Buddy Break is a free kids/respite program where children with special needs (VIP kids) make new friends, play fun games, enjoy crafts, therapy dogs, stories, music activities, and more! Siblings have fun, too! Meanwhile, their caregivers get a break from their ongoing care-giving responsibilities for three hours. Buddy Break is open to Foreest Lake Church members and non-church members alike, for VIP kids ages 3 through 18 years.
Each VIP kid is paired one-on-one with a screened volunteer “Buddy” to participate in that day’s activities.
VIPs are kids with special needs, which include any physical, cognitive, medical or hidden disability, chronic or life-threatening illness, or those who are medically fragile.
Buddies are friends of VIPs.
Signing Up a VIP
- Complete the secure online VIP Form(s). If you have any siblings that you’d like to have attend Buddy Break, please fill out the Sibling form too.
- Contact us to reserve your space at a required VIP orientation. (Contact information is below.) This allows us to meet you and your children and gives you a chance to see Buddy Break before you begin participating. Prior to orientation, print the following forms. We will have a notary at orientation to notarize them for you.
Buddy Break forms
Authorization/Release Form [VIP Authorization and Release] – Please fill out for each VIP and Sibling attending Buddy Break
Declaration of Consent Form [VIP Declaration of Consent] – Please fill out for each VIP and Sibling attending Buddy Break
Signing Up to Attend Buddy Break
Once you have signed up for the program and gone through orientation, you’ll need to make a reservation for each month that you want to attend Buddy Break. Space is limited and pre-registration is required, so register early! To make a reservation for our upcoming Buddy Break as a VIP: email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Heather J Magray at (407) 476-8984.
How Do I Sign Up to Be a Buddy?
No previous experience with VIP kids is necessary to be a Buddy, just a loving heart, open arms, and a willingness to learn. You must be at least 14 years of age and you will be trained through a two-hour Buddy Training 101 class. You also agree to have a background check run on your information and 3 references checked before participating in the program.
To Sign Up For the Program as a Buddy
- Complete the secure, online Buddy Form (you will need to create an account) [https://apps.nathanielshope.org/User/Signup.aspx]
- Complete the background check training and application at www.shieldthevulnerable.org
- Please Contact Heather Magray at BuddyBreak@forestlakechurch.org or (407) 476-8984 when you have filled out the online buddy form and background check.
For Further Information About Being a Buddy
- Coordinator: Heather J Magray @ email@example.com or 407-476-8984
- Assistant Coordinator:
- Nathaniel’s Hope at 407-857-8224.
- Buddy Break Brochure [brochure link here]
Upcoming 2013 Buddy Breaks:
• Sunday, November 24, 3:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Upcoming 2014 Buddy Breaks:
• Sunday, January 26 3:00 – 6:00 pm.
• Sunday, February 23 3:00 – 6:00 pm
• Sunday, March 30 3:00 – 6:00 pm.
• Sunday, April 27 3:00 – 6:00 pm.
• Sunday, May 25 3:00 – 6:00 pm.
• Sunday, June 29 3:00 – 6:00 pm.
• Sunday, July 27 3:00 – 6:00 pm.
All Buddy Breaks will be held in the Upper Youth Center of the Forest Lake Church